Across Reception and Key stage 1 the children receive a daily 15 minute discrete phonics lesson. The children are grouped according to ability – so that all children receive teaching specific to their needs.
• Phase 1 looks at sounds around us – this is typically delivered in Nursery;
• Phase 2 introduces the alphabet to children;
• Phase 3 begins to pair letters to make new sounds;
• Phase 4 looks at reading and spelling 4 letter words;
• Phase 5 concentrates on all the different ways we can write sounds in the English
Language – this is delivered in Year 1;
• Phase 6 looks at sentence structure, verbs, nouns and past tense – this is covered in
It is really important that children see the connection between the sounds (phonemes) they learn in their phonics lessons, and the skills we develop in reading and writing – this knowledge is applied across the whole of the English curriculum; and the more we practise these skills the more children will become confident in using them.
We have several reading schemes in use across the school, depending on the age and need of the pupils. These are Read, Write, Inc and Oxford Reading Tree, which are supplemented with specific phonic based texts called ‘Floppy’s Phonics’.
We make reading fun - children love games, songs and other rewards which, along with feeling proud of their reading, really motivate children to keep exploring and learning.
If you require more information about our Phonics/Reading, please feel free to drop-in to school to have a chat with Miss Russell who will be happy to help.
Click here for more information.